A Perfect Day

I am sitting here looking at the computer in a state of happy tiredness.  Today marked a big day for me in terms of getting over some anxiety that I’ve had since last August.  On tap for me today was a long swim, 5 hour bike, and 30 minute run off the bike.  I knew this day was coming, and I was actually losing some sleep over it.  Nancy even picked up on my anxiety yesterday.

The last time I had anything of this volume was race day at IM Louisville, and as we know that didn’t day go so well, and I’ve been left with this “thing” in my head that anything long and hard is going to hurt.  The pain of that day was like no other.  I’d give childbirth ten times over before ever having to go through that.  Luckily I’ll never have to feel that same pain as the organs are no longer there to create that pain, but it working through the mental side of things.  There were a number of people who helped make today what it was and helped get me over a big hurdle.  Here’s a quick recap:

3:30 a.m.- Breakfast and coffee.

5:00 a.m.-  In the pool pronto.  The lady, Pat, that swims next to me is close to retirement, and I’ve nicknamed her “the training pool cheer leader.”  She is always so encouraging of all of us training for crazy things.  Jake was life guarding, and he does a great job of counting laps and keeping us true to our training program.  Though he doesn’t stop us when we do extra.  Also a big thanks to David and Bill.  One hour into my swim you two came in, and it helps to have speedy fish in the pool to keep me going.

7:00 a.m.- Triple shot iced Americano.  Thanks Starbucks barista!

7:30 a.m.- The kids had a late start for school today, which lead to the long bike session starting on the trainer in the driveway.  Fully entertained by the kids in the neighborhood playing basketball, football, street hockey, biking, running, etc.  Also to help me pass the first 2 1/2 hours pedaling and go nowhere was Dennis.  If you ever need a mental boost or want to get stronger mentally this is the guy to talk to.  I’ve learned so much from him.  Thanks for the talks Dennis!

10:00 a.m.- Roll the bike off the trainer and meet my dad for the next 1/2 of the ride.  It’s been over 20 years since we’ve ridden together.  It was so much fun.  His legs were fresh and it kept me honest to what I was supposed to be doing.  I took him on some new routes, and we had some small chit-chat from time to time, but the wind kept us quiet for most of the time.  Best part of the ride:  Stopping at a coffee shop to fill up with water, and I decided to order a shot of espresso.  My dad, Tom, orders the same thing, and I am more sure that he’s never had a shot of that sort.  15 miles down the road he says ” I don’t know what was in that little thing of coffee, but I am ready to rip my legs off.”  At 61 years old he can still more than hold his own on the bike, and is still trying to coach.  However I reminded him that he’s still a roadie, and I am a triathlete.  New Friday tradition.

12:30 p.m. – Quick changed into running shoes, grabbed Kona (our Goldendoodle), and Fuel Belt.  I’ve learned that you can just wrap the dog leash onto the belt, and makes the running so much easier.  1/2 way into the run she was panting, and feeling bad I opened her mouth and squirted in my electrolyte drink.  On the way back home we saw Henry and his class at Little Plover River and did a quick stop by.  So grateful for the great teachers my kids have at Roosevelt School.

After a quick shower and house cleaning I caught up with my friends Danielle and Jennifer.  So nice to catch up with you ladies.  Thought of you during the lunch hour.  We’ll have to make time for coffee next week.  (you in Gretchen?)  Thanks for being the best friends a crazy triathlete could ask for.

In summary the training went by so fast.  While there are many long and hard days ahead, I think I may have gotten over perhaps one of the hardest.  I officially feel as though I am back in the game.  I am see my training with Mark Allen (Luis and Diane as well) working.  I was in a deep hole physically after last year, and their training program is one that works with the issues I have.  I’ve been healthy and have had only one flare up since coming on with them.  This is huge!

I want to thank Nancy, Deb, and Rick as well.  You encourage the whole family everyday, and we’re thankful for your friendship.  Also to all the friends that are training and working out.  No matter what you’re doing its inspiring.  You just have to keep at, and tackle those hurdles.

To Sheila and Hillary– your blogs, emails, and FB posts all seem to come at the right time.  Your insight, professionalism, honesty, friendship, and willingness to share your triumphs as well as your struggles are priceless.  I wish nothing but success in your races coming up as you two have well put in the work.  SMASHFEST TIME!!!

Last, but not least many, many thanks to Joel and my three boys.  I couldn’t do this without you.  Pure and simple.  We’ve all made triathlon, or parts of it (swim, bike, run) a lifestyle.  And sharing it all together is the best!

Have a great weekend everyone!


3 thoughts on “A Perfect Day

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s